Homeschooling and Finance

When it comes to homeschooling,there are no grants are funding available to finance your individual independent homeschool. You are a separate entity from the state and thus responsible for your own monetary needs. There are nonprofit groups that provide assistance to homeschoolers that have experienced hardship i.e. natural disaster etc.  and there are also non profit ministries that donate used curriculum for those who are experiencing hardship. 

When it comes to homeschooling, you are going to spend time and money. If you are looking for a low cost way to homeschool then you are going to spend a good amount of time looking for free resources that tie into your children's course of study. The library is an invaluable free resource. You can also tap into your community and see what they have that's fee or low cost. The internet is a treasure trove full of free resources. You can spend money printing out what you need or you can go tech and utilize things like ipads or tablets and have your children working interactively through those mediums.

You may also spend money on ready made curriculum whether it be a complete boxed curriculum encompassing all of the subjects (expensive) or putting together resources from various publishers. There are tons of ready made ready resources online you can use that are free, low cost and can be expensive depending on your needs and or wants. 

BUDGETING FOR YOUR PURCHASES 
If you are on a tight budget you can set up a system to save up for the resources you desire to purchase without feeling like you are struggling or pulling money from your home. We utilize an envelope system for large curriculum purchases. During the spring (March/April), I start researching and looking at what I want to use for the following year. After tallying up my total, I divide that number up into weeks. If my total is $500 and I have 24 weeks before our new cycle begins then I add at least $20 to my homeschool fund every week. By the time its time for me to start shopping, then I have what I need and I don't feel like I'm breaking the bank. 
If you plan on independently homeschooling your children, don't spend too much time worrying about what you can't spend and focus on maximizing what you can spend. 



Comments

Mrs. Johnson said…
Thanks for this informative entry! I follow you on facebook but had no idea you blogged! I will be implementing your saving approach for next term, we are just now setting up for this term, for my (newly) 4year old and 20month old.
Thanks again!
Blessed Mama K said…
You're more than welcome. I try to squeeze in a blog entry when I can. I'm so glad you found this beneficial to you.
Unknown said…
Awesome, thanks

Popular posts from this blog

MOVING BLOG TO NING